The Problem: Students are falling behind in science and technology.
- Students do not connect science with their everyday lives.
- Students are turned off by textbook-only approaches to science.
- Teachers are often uncomfortable presenting hands-on science, especially at the elementary school level.
- Science instruction gets squeezed out when state mandates force schools to emphasize other subjects.
- Many schools lack the resources and equipment to teach science effectively.
What is the result?
- High school students are dropping out of science in record numbers.
- The majority of college students now must take remedial math as freshmen.
- Universities are awarding fewer technical degrees to U.S. citizens, making it difficult for many companies to hire the skilled people they need.
- Many high school and college graduates are not prepared for the technical work force.
- When students miss out on science and math, they lose these opportunities to develop skills in logic and analysis – abilities that are imperative for the workplace and our society.
- America’s loss of future scientists will impact our standard of living.
The Science & Discovery Center solution:
- Deliver engaging hands-on science programs to the classroom, taught by Science & Discovery Center’s outstanding professional educators.
- Help students see the connection between science and everyday life.
- Provide continuing education for classroom teachers to help K-12 students meet state standards.
- Deliver programs with proven models: mobile science lab, science modules, science show, family science events, summer camps and teacher workshops.
- Evaluate programs continually to ensure high standards of excellence.
Why we need your help:
- Schools cannot afford to pay the full cost of our programs.
- Sources of public and private funds are diminishing, and competition for every dollar is constantly increasing.
- Demand for our services is high and growing. We can meet the demand only if we have sufficient funding.
- Science is expensive. Engaging students in real science experiences requires equipment, supplies and expertise.
- Your investment will advance the knowledge of local students who may become your employees.
The students are gaining hands-on experience both on the computer and by building models of bridges using concepts taught.